Saturday, October 01, 2011

Food and Harvest Festivals and Celebrations - 1 October 2011

First, the Niagara Food Festival -
Unfortunately, it was a cold, damp and windy Saturday morning that I chose to visit Welland's Niagara Food Festival. The normally crowded festival, which is a seasonal highlight in the Niagara Region, was barren of visitors, although I was told that it was much better in the afternoon and on Sunday.
I have to say though, the hot ginger carrot soup at 7:22 of the  video was exactly what I needed.

Second, Apple Fest  at 300 Scott St., St. Catharines -
This indoor event was clearly organized by a group that must have been affiliated with the school in which it was held. There was a strong community feel to the event but I have to say that I get tired of these events where most of the booths are trying to sell you something rather than be party favours for the event. The folks at the event seemed to be having a good time. 
Third, Start Me Up Niagara's Harvest Festival, St. Catharines -
It was still cold, damp and windy on Saturday afternoon when I chose to visit Start Me Up Niagara's Harvest Festival in St. Catharine's Centennial Gardens - which by the way is adjacent to part of the first Welland Canal.
This gathering of very community oriented and well meaning people was to mark the harvest. Start Me Up Niagara has helped members of the community with many life skills and this was to celebrate their community garden and gardeners.
This is an organization that is helping folks in Niagara and we should be supporting them any way we can. For more info go to www.startmeupniagara.ca . Here are more photos of the event.

Fourth, a peek of Oktoberfest at the Royal Legion Branch in Niagara on the Lake, St. Catharines -
Oktoberfest at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch in Niagara on the Lake was my fourth and last stop of the day. The sun had come out and people were talking, laughing and eating.
I had just missed the local German Dance Troupe's performance but I was told that it was "marvellous".
I very much enjoy these types of gatherings where people take tie to reconnect and chat with old friends and make new ones. I kept this video short so as not to intrude in the close surroundings.

If you have comments on this or any other content or if you wish to suggest a review, please email.